The purpose of the Georgia Safe Schools Coalition (GSSC, Inc.) is to eliminate LGBTQ oppression in Georgia schools. We educate and advocate on issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students and families. GSSC works to address the intersections among various systems of oppression, understanding that one cannot eradicate transprejudice and heterosexism without simultaneously working to end all forms of injustice. By serving as a resource for Georgia students, educators, and families, we strive to engender positive social growth among Georgia’s youth and to foster a safe and affirming school climate for all. GSSC was founded in 2009.
Who We AreGeorgia Safe Schools Coalition is a partnership of educators, community organizations, and safe school activists dedicated to raising awareness about issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQQ) youth and families. GSSC works with educators and community organizations to help Georgia’s schools become safe and affirming environments for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/ expression. We do this by:
- Providing training, support, and resources to Georgia schools, counselors, administration, faculty and staff
- Raising awareness among families, parents and members of the community
- Providing resources to help support safer, more affirming schools at the local, district, and state level
- Consulting with schools and personnel in developing safer, more positive school climates
- Offering support and resources to Gay-Straight Alliances